Skill Level: Beginner Class Size: 5
Instructor: Mike DeWitt Prerequisites: None
Please note that this is a two-day class. Enrolling in this class automatically enrolls you in the Resin Casting class held on 2/28 at 6:00pm. You DO NOT need to sign up for that class as well. The turning part of the course will occur on 3/9/24 at 2:30pm.
In this hands-on class, participants will learn the process of turning a bowl using epoxy resin and pinecones as casting materials. Participants will be guided through the steps of creating a unique bowl by casting pinecones in epoxy resin and later turning it on a lathe. They will learn how to prepare the pinecones, mix and pour epoxy resin, and turn the casted bowl into its final shape.
The class will cover the following topics:
• Introduction to epoxy resin and its casting properties
• Selecting and preparing pinecones for casting
• Mixing and pouring epoxy resin to encapsulate the pinecones
• Curing and preparing the casted block for turning
• Techniques and safety measures for turning the casted block into a bowl shape
• Sanding, finishing, and polishing techniques for the final bowl
By the end of the class, participants will have a stunning bowl made from epoxy resin and pinecones that showcases their creativity and woodworking skills.